Welcome to the Terri Scheer Connect information page for Real Estate Agents, where you have resources and frequently asked questions at your fingertips to help you become familiar with the new Terri Scheer Connect portal.
Terri Scheer Connect is the future of how we connect with our Real Estate Agents online, making it easy to arrange and manage insurance to meet landlord’s insurance needs.
We are excited to present the key features and benefits of Terri Scheer Connect:
- Distributors can quote and place cover for both the Landlord Preferred and Scheer Short Stay policies. Plus retrieve existing quotes within 30 days.
- Search for properties managed by your agency, that are insured with Terri Scheer.
- Check the payment status and policy details.
- Distributors have the ability to print Certificate of Insurance and Certificate of Currency.
- Complete annual distributor compliance training.
How can we help you?
You can also browse the topics below to find what you are looking for.
If you cannot find the answer to your question below, you can find the best way to contact Terri Scheer here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Access & Login
As a Distributor, what access do I have to Terri Scheer Connect?
- Quote and place cover for both the Landlord Preferred and Scheer Short Stay policies.
- Search properties that you have insured with Terri Scheer.
- Check payment status and policy details.
- Print Certificate of Insurance, and Certificate of Currency.
- Complete annual distributor compliance training.
As a Referrer, what access do I have to Terri Scheer Connect?
- Search properties that you have insured with Terri Scheer.
- Check payment status and some policy details.
- Print Certificate of Insurance, and Certificate of Currency, if you are authorised to pay the policy.
How do I access Terri Scheer Connect?
Important: your email address and mobile number must be registered with Terri Scheer prior to an invitation being sent.
Why do you need my email address & mobile number for Terri Scheer Connect?
Your email address will be used as your Terri Scheer Connect login name and your mobile is used for multi-factor authentication.
Please note: we will not be using these for any direct marketing or pass them onto third parties, they are only used for the purpose of logging into Terri Scheer Connect.
How can I find out if I have access to Terri Scheer Connect?
What should I do if I have not received a registration email?
I am currently a Referrer within a Distributor office, how can I also become a Distributor?
Updating Your Details
How do I change my email address?
- You cannot change your email address in Terri Scheer Connect, please email Terri Scheer at email@example.com to change email address.
- Changing your email address will also mean your Terri Scheer Connect login username changes.
How do I change my mobile number?
An individual can change their mobile number through their My Profile page on Terri Scheer Connect.
How do I leave an organisation?
I have requested a password reset but I have not received the reset password email?
You can attempt to reset your password 3 times within 24 hours, if you are trying for a 4th time a new password reset email will not be issued. In this case make sure you click the link in the latest password reset email you received.
How do I change the organisation’s Company name?
Individuals Attached to Multiple Real Estate Offices
I am linked to more than one Real Estate Agent, can I see all organisations in Terri Scheer Connect?
If you have the one email address you will be able to select multiple organisations within the one Terri Scheer Connect login. If you have different email addresses across the organisations this means that the organisations will be under separate logins.
If you have any issues contact your Landlord Insurance Partner for further guidance.
I can’t see any pending invitations for Terri Scheer Connect, what do I do?
My Authorised Person or Admin has sent me an invitation to Terri Scheer Connect, but I haven’t received it.
I’ve noticed my personal details in Terri Scheer Connect are incorrect, what do I do?
Please contact Terri Scheer to update your personal details.
I received the invitation to Terri Scheer Connect & accepted, but I can’t see the organisation or can only see the wrong organisation?
Please contact Terri Scheer as soon as possible, to ensure we have the correct information.
I’ve logged into Terri Scheer Connect, but I cannot see any policies
Make sure you have selected the correct organisation. The organisation can be viewed & changed in the top left of the menu.
I accidentally created a policy in Terri Scheer Connect under the wrong organisation
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
I can see an employee that no longer works with the organisation / how do I remove an employee’s access to Terri Scheer Connect?
The Authorised Person or Admin can remove employees access to Terri Scheer Connect, through the Employee page & selecting the remove button. This will need to be done for all organisations for employees listed under multiple organisations.
Please note: it is the Authorised Person or Admin’s responsibility to maintain an up to date employee list.
What can I do as an Admin?
- See employees with Terri Scheer Connect access & their training status.
- Remove & add Terri Scheer Connect access for employees.
- View company & financial pages.
- Access distributor documents.
I cannot see an employee in my organisation what do I do?
You can add employees and invite new users to Terri Scheer Connect through the Employee page.
As an Admin I tried to invite a new employee to Terri Scheer Connect but it won’t let me
The employee’s email address may already exist in the system, please contact Terri Scheer to investigate further.
As an Admin can I reset employee’s passwords?
No password resets can only be done by the individual user themselves.
As an Admin I have removed an employee, but they are still appearing on my list.
Try logging out & back in again to refresh the page. If the problem persists, please contact Terri Scheer.
As an Admin how do I change a Referrer to a Distributor?
You can nominate an employee to become a distributor by editing the employee’s position/role in the Employee page of Terri Scheer Connect. Once this has been done the employee will receive an email from Terri Scheer with the next steps required to become a distributor.
How do I change the Admin?
How do I change the Authorised Person?
Contact your Landlord Insurance Partner. You can find your Landlord Insurance Partner details on the Company Page in Terri Scheer Connect.
Quotes & Applications
Why can’t I find my quote?
- Your quotes will be shown in order of expiry date, so newer quotes will be at the bottom.
- Quotes expire after 30 days.
- The quote may not have been completed therefore was not saved.
Why am I getting an error message when trying to place cover through Terri Scheer Connect?
If the property does not fall within the Terri Scheer underwriting guidelines, you will not be able to place cover and an error/jeopardy message will explain the reasons why. If you need further support, contact Terri Scheer.
Can I organise a quote or place cover for building insurance through Terri Scheer Connect?
Building Insurance quotes can be obtained by the landlord filling in the Residential Building Insurance Quote/Application form. The application form is editable, then can be emailed by either the landlord or distributor to email@example.com Alternatively the landlord can obtain a building insurance quote through the Terri Scheer website.
Why can’t I place cover in Terri Scheer Connect?
To place cover you must be a Distributor. If you are a distributor, make sure your compliance training is current and you are listed under the correct organisation. If you need further support, contact Terri Scheer.
Why is the Multiple Property Discount not applied?
We attempt to match policy details as best we can based on the information we have in our system. If you think the insured may be eligible for a multiple property discount and it is not applied, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1800 804 016.
My landlord has questions about the policy, can I request you give them a call?
Unfortunately, due to anti-hawking legislation we are unable to make unsolicited contact to discuss new business quotes or policies.
Anti-hawking legislation is designed to provide the customer with greater control over communication and their decisions to purchase financial products. It is also designed to protect the customer from practises such as pressure selling, and purchasing products that do not meet their needs.
You may advise your landlord to call our contact centre on 1800 804 016 and one of our friendly customer service consultants will be able to assist them.
What is the cooling off period?
You can cancel the policy within 30 days from the start date of the policy or renewal. As long as you haven’t made a claim we will refund the full money you paid for the policy but you will not have any cover.
Does Terri Scheer offer any discounts?
- If you apply through Terri Scheer Connect the landlord will receive a 5% discount for the first year.+
- An employee who works in the property management department will receive a 20% discount if they take out a policy with Terri Scheer. You will need to fill out an application form and email to email@example.com. Please ensure you mention in the body of the email you are requesting the 20% REA discount.
- If the landlord takes out building insurance and they have a landlord preferred policy, they will receive a 10% discount on the building insurance premium.
- Landlords who have three or more policies will receive a $20 discount per policy. If the landlord has already taken out two policies and takes out a third, we will apply the $20 discount to the new policy and the $20 discount for the other two policies will be applied at renewal. If they take out all three policies at once, the discount will be applied at inception.
- If the policy is eligible for more than one discount, we usually apply any subsequent discount to the already discounted premium in a predetermined order.
Rent Arrears & Unoccupancy Clause
Can I place cover if my tenant is in rent arrears?
Yes, you can place cover. However, if the property is tenanted and the tenant has been in arrears for more than 14 days (7 days ACT & QLD) in the last two months, at the start date of the policy, loss of rent and tenant damage are not covered until the tenant is out of arrears for two consecutive months.
NB: Remember to check the tenant ledger before placing cover.
Is cover available if the rental property is going to be unoccupied?
- If the property will be vacant for more than 90 days, you must notify customer service by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will not provide cover for loss of rent, contents, or tenant damage to the building for properties that are vacant for more than 90 days, unless we agree in writing to provide cover. If we do agree to provide cover a higher excess will be applied.
Amendments & Cancellations
I want to amend or edit a policy
Email email@example.com with information about the required amendment and they will be able to assist you. Please make sure you also include the policy number, landlord name & property address.
Can I cancel an insurance policy through Terri Scheer Connect?
You can cancel a policy anytime during the period of insurance. You will have cover up until the date and time of the cancellation. Cancellations cannot be done through Terri Scheer Connect, they can be requested by filling in the below cancellation form and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Policy Documents & Payments
Is the Certificate of Insurance sent to the real estate agent or landlord?
- If you are a distributor and place cover on behalf of the landlord the Certificate of Insurance and renewals will be emailed to your office for payment. We will write to the landlord to let them know we have sent you the Certificate of Insurance and inform them you are paying this on their behalf.
- If the landlord places cover online or over the phone the Certificate of Insurance will be sent to the landlord. If the landlord fills in an application form, they are given the option of where the Certificate of Insurance is sent – real estate agent or landlord.
Do I need to provide the landlord with a copy of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or Financial Services Guide (FSG)?
If you are a Distributor and you are placing cover on behalf of the landlord you must provide them with a copy of the product PDS and FSG before the financial service is provided. If you are a Referrer you are only authorised to hand out a brochure to the landlord.
- An FSG must be given to the landlord as soon as practicable after it becomes apparent that a financial service will be, or is likely to be, provided, and must be given before the financial service is provided.
- A PDS must be given to the landlord at or before the time an offer is made to issue or arrange to issue a financial product, or the financial product is issued. Please note: some exceptions apply – see the relevant legislation and regulations.
- The FSG is a document which contains information to assist customers in deciding whether to obtain a financial service and (amongst other things) informs the landlord about the complaints procedure and remuneration (including commission) or other benefits (i.e. referral fees) that you may receive.
- The PDS is the actual policy wording which details (amongst other things) all the inclusions and exclusions of the policy and provides information about the cooling off period (30 days).
What do I do if I receive a Certificate of Insurance for a property I no longer manage?
If you receive a Certificate of Insurance or documentation for a property you no longer manage it is your responsibility to notify Terri Scheer, please email email@example.com.
When I place cover through Terri Scheer Connect will the invoice be sent to me direct?
The Certificate of Insurance will be sent to the email address set up for electronic notice delivery (END) or posted to your office if your office is not set up for END.
If I request a policy document through Terri Scheer Connect will this be sent to me direct?
If you request a once off email copy of a Certificate of Insurance, this will be sent directly to the email address of the person requesting the document through Terri Scheer Connect.
I have paid a policy but why is it still showing as unpaid in Terri Scheer Connect?
We may have received your payment but there could be a delay with processing the payment in our system, please contact Terri Scheer if it is still showing as unpaid after 5 business days.
What are the payment terms?
If you receive a Certificate of Insurance for payment it is your responsibility to ensure the payment is made on time.
- New business payment terms are 30 days.
- Renewals are sent out 50 days before the due date.
Will I receive a payment reminder?
One week before the payment is due a final reminder is sent. If your office is set to pay on behalf of the landlord, the final reminder will be sent to your office and the landlord.
What if I can’t make the payment before the due date?
Please contact customer service by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have insufficient funds on account, we may be able to arrange a payment extension.
- If we do not receive the payment on time the policy will lapse, and the landlord will have NO insurance.
- We are unable to reinstate lapsed policies. You will need to apply for a new policy and the arrears clause will apply.
Do you offer monthly payments?
No – the premium is due annually. If the landlord is moving back into the property or the property has sold, or the landlord no longer requires the insurance we do offer a pro rata refund. If required, see FAQ on how to cancel a policy.
I need to update the trust account bank details
Distributor & Referrer Roles
I am a Distributor, what am I authorised to do?
Distributor are authorised to deal in insurance on behalf of the landlord.
A Distributor CAN:
- Hand out Terri Scheer brochures and application forms to landlords.
- Provide the landlord with a copy of the PDS & FSG.
- Place cover, make changes or cancel a policy.
- Email an application form on behalf of the landlord.
- Renew a policy on behalf of the landlord.
- Pay new business and renewal invoices.
- Lodge claims and receive claims payments.
- Speak to us on behalf of the landlord.
A Distributor CANNOT:
- Provide financial product advice.
- Collect and send a lead to the customer service team. The landlord will need to contact Terri Scheer direct.
I am a Referrer, what am I authorised to do?
Referrers ARE NOT authorised to deal in insurance on behalf of the landlord.
A Referrer CAN:
- Hand out TSI brochures and application forms to landlords.
- Pay new business and renewal invoices if the landlord has authorised them to do so.
- Lodge claims and receive claims payments, if requested by the landlord.
A Referrer CANNOT:
- Speak on behalf of a landlord with Terri Scheer.
- Email application forms on behalf of the landlord. The landlord will need to email the application form direct to Terri Scheer.
Can a Referrer place cover or email an application form on behalf of landlord?
No, only Distributors are authorised to place cover or email application forms on behalf of a landlord.
I am currently a Referrer office, how can I become a Distributor office?
Distributor Appointment Process
How is an office set up as a Distributor for Terri Scheer?
- The business is appointed as the “Principal Distributor” and a duly authorised person is required to act on behalf of the office.
- ASIC check – Your Landlord Insurance Partner will check the duly authorised person is not listed on the ASIC banned and disqualified register.
- The duly authorised person is required to complete and pass an annual compliance module. This can be accessed via Terri Scheer Connect and takes 20 minutes to complete.
- Upon successful completion of the compliance module your Landlord Insurance Partner will email you a Distributor Appointment Letter and attach the following:
- Distributor Operations Manual
- Instructions on how to appoint employees as Distributors
- Employee Appointment Letter
- Employee Termination Letter
- The duly authorised person must read the Distributor Operations Manual to ensure they understand their obligations, sign and return the Distributor Appointment Letter to their Landlord Insurance Partner.
- Your Landlord Insurance Partner will update Terri Scheer Connect to show the business and duly authorised person are now set to distributor status.
How to appoint employees as Distributors for Terri Scheer
The following process needs to be completed for all employees who wish to carry out distributor functions:
- The duly authorised person is required to sub-appoint employees using the employee appointment letter on company letterhead. The employee appointment letter can also be found in Terri Scheer Connect under the Company page.
- Email a copy of the employee appointment letter to the employee and your Landlord Insurance Partner.
- ASIC check – Your Landlord Insurance Partner will check the employee is not listed on the ASIC banned and disqualified register.
- The employee is required to is required to complete and pass an annual compliance module. This can be accessed via Terri Scheer Connect and takes 20 minutes to complete.
- Employees are appointed on the condition they pass the ASIC check and complete and pass the online training module.
- Once all the above are completed your Landlord Insurance Partner will update the portal to show the employee has distributor status.
What happens if my compliance training has expired?
Your training is available to complete through Terri Scheer Connect up to 30 days after expiry. After 30 days you will be terminated as a Distributor and your Authorised Person or Admin will need to reset your status as a Distributor, which will require you go through the Distributor appointment process again.
I’ve completed training but the training status hasn’t updated to completed.
Your training status should update immediately upon completion. Try logging out & back in again, if no resolution contact Terri Scheer. Please note, you will not receive a confirmation email for training being completed.
Is commission paid on all Terri Scheer policies?
- We only pay commission on the Landlord Preferred Policy and the Scheer Short Stay Policy.
- We do not pay commission for the Residential Building Insurance Policy.
How do I receive commission?
New Business Commission
You WILL receive commission if you have filled in a commission payment form and:
- Your office is appointed a distributor and apply through the portal.
- The landlord completes and submits an application form.
- The landlord applies via our website. HOWEVER they will need to select “Real Estate Agent” referred them to Terri Scheer. We ask this question during the online application process.
You will NOT receive commission if:
- The landlord calls customer service and takes the policy out over the phone.
- The landlord applies via our website and they say they heard of us through another source, Eg TV or Radio
- You will receive commission if the renewal Certificate of Insurance is set up to go the agent for payment.
- If the renewal Certificate of Insurance is set to the go to the landlord for payment, you WILL NOT receive commission on renewals.
What is Terri Scheer’s commission amount?
Commission for new policies
- Landlord Preferred Policy – $22.00 inc gst
- Scheer Short Stay Policy – $27.50 inc gst
Commission for renewals
- Landlord Preferred Policy – $11.00 inc gst
- Scheer Short Stay Policy – $16.50 inc gst
When will the agent receive a commission payment from Terri Scheer?
A commission payment will be made once you have accrued $100. Payments are made mid-month and a recipient created tax invoice will be emailed or posted to your office. It is the agent’s responsibility to ensure we have up to date general account details.
Please note we cannot backdate commissions. Also, if we refund part or all of any premium to a client, we may deduct any amounts due to the agent for commissions in respect of that premium or part premium (plus an amount equal to the GST which was payable on the amount of the refunded commission).
If you are set up to receive documentation by email, commission invoices will be sent to your nominated email address. If you would like to receive commission tax invoices to a different email address, please email email@example.com with your nominated email address.
I need to update the general account details (commission payments)
What are some tips to help reduce the time spent on insurance claims?
- When carrying out entry and exit inspections it is important to take lots of photographs. When a property damage claim is made, it is useful to see before and after evidence of any damage that has occurred. If the property is furnished ensure you carry out an inventory of contents at the commencement of the tenancy.
- Ensure breach notices and termination notices are served on time. Failing to issue or delay in issuing rent arrears notices to the tenant, or failing to issue or delay in pursuing a court or tribunal order for the eviction of the tenant, may result in your rent arrears claim being reduced or refused.
- Ensure regular routine inspections are carried out. Minimum one a year but we recommend doing at least two.
- Ensure the property is kept in good condition, structurally sound and well maintained. The policy may not provide cover if you have not met your responsibilities.
- You must demonstrate that steps have been taken to repair and re-let the property as soon as possible after the departure of the tenant. If there is damage to the property arrange for the property to be cleaned, promptly obtain repair quotes for damage or contact us to help with the repair process. Once repairs are complete arrange for the property be advertised for reletting.
- If the damage is extensive call the claims team as we may need to appoint a loss adjustor to meet you at the property.
- Report theft or damage to the police as soon as possible and obtain a police report number.
- Ensure you include supporting documents. Often when a claim is submitted there are missing supporting documents. The claims team are unable to finalise or pay a claim until they have all the supporting documents. If the supporting documents are not received this can delay the length of time it takes to process the claim or impact the outcome of the claim.
Supporting documents required can be found using this link: How to Claim
Glossary of Main Terms & Policy Status
A referrer user that has been invited to the portal and has successfully logged on.
An Admin is allocated by the Authorised Person and they are responsible for the administration of Terri Scheer Connect for the office, they can manage employee access within Terri Scheer Connect. They do not need to be a distributor to have admin access.
An authorised person refers to the duly authorised person of the office. This is the person who signs the distributor appointment letter on behalf of the office and who sub-appoints the employees within the office to become distributors.
A distributor can be an individual or an organisation. Individuals must be appointed by a duly authorised person. Distributors are authorised to deal in insurance products on behalf of Terri Scheer. As a condition of appointment distributors must complete annual compliance training.
- Distributor pending
Distributor pending is a referrer that has requested to become a distributor. Before distributor status can be obtained, the Landlord Insurance Partner needs to complete an ASIC check & compliance training must be completed by the referrer. Once all the requirements are met the status will move from distributor pending to distributor.
If your compliance training expires your distributor status will change to distributor pending. After 30 days if you have not completed the training, you will be changed to referrer.
The employee has been invited to Terri Scheer Connect but has not completed registration.
- Not invited
The employee is listed as a staff member but has not been invited to register with Terri Scheer Connect.
A referrer is not authorised to deal in any insurance products and only have very limited capabilities.
- Training complete
The distributor compliance training has been successfully completed.
- Training expired
The distributor compliance training has expired and needs to be completed to retain a distributor role. Training expires 12 months after initial successful completion. The training can be completed up to 30 days past the expiration date.
- Training expires in 23 days
The distributor compliance training is due to expire and needs to be completed to retain a distributor role.
- Training incomplete
The distributor compliance training has been started but not completed.
Policy Status shown on Policy Details screen
- Effective from
The policy period is in the future, and is effective from this date.
- Expired on
The policy has expired as of this date, and a renewal has not been offered, or has been cancelled.
- Expires on
The policy period is current but is due to expire on this date, and a renewal has not been offered, or has been cancelled.
- Lapsed on
This is the date the policy lapsed.
- Next payment due
There is a payment outstanding for the current policy period or the renewal period. The date shown is the due date for the outstanding payment.
- Renewal date
The policy is paid in full and is due to renew on this date.
- Renews on
This policy period is due to renew on this date.
Status shown on Policy List screen
The policy period is paid in full.
- Cancelled on
The policy has been cancelled effective from this date.
The policy has expired and a renewal has not been offered, or has been cancelled.
The policy has lapsed due to non-payment.
- Payment due
There is an outstanding payment for the policy.
- Payment received
The payment for this policy has been received, the effective date is in the future.
To make sure your enquiry is handled by the right person, please refer to the below contact information.
General enquiries, sales, applications, cancellations or administration, including Terri Scheer Connect
Existing distributors can find their Landlord Insurance Partner contact details on Terri Scheer Connect under the Company tab.
For urgent issues please call Terri Scheer on 1800 804 016 and select option 5 for property managers.
Please refer to the Terri Scheer website for operating hours.