Online Terms & Conditions
The Suncorp Group is comprised of Suncorp Group Limited (ABN 66 145 290 124) (“Suncorp Group”) and its subsidiaries and related companies in Australia and New Zealand. In these terms, a reference to “we”, “us” and “our” is a reference to each of the following companies of the Suncorp Group (as applicable in context):
- • Terri Scheer Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 76 070 874 798, AFSL 218585) (“TSI”)
- • AAI Limited (ABN 48 005 297 807, ASFL 230859) trading as Vero Insurance (“Vero”).
Read these Online Terms to understand how we:
- • operate and regulate our online sites
- • operate online insurance quoting and purchase transactions; and
- • handle your personal information when you interact with us online (see terms 21 to 27).
About our online sites
- 1.1 We operate certain online sites including our main website (www.terrischeer.com.au including its related transactional domains and pages) (“Main Site”);
- 1.2 We may operate an Online Site for its own benefit and/or for the benefit of one or more of its related bodies corporate, which collectively form the Suncorp Group in Australia and New Zealand.
- 1.3 Our Online Site (including any sub-pages, related transactional domains and pages, or other Suncorp Group company branded online pages which include an authorised link to an Online Site) may include product advertising, services, information, text, graphics, materials, social media forums, applications, functions and promotions, unless disclaimed otherwise or where not permitted by law or by an online host site’s rules (“Site Content”). Your use of any of our Online Sites, including any Site Content, is governed by these Online Terms.
- 1.5 We own and operate the Main Site. These Online Sites include all web pages under or forming part of the domain name terrischeer.com.au.
- 1.7As our Online Sites develop and as technology evolves, we will continue to strive to provide you with better online services. We encourage you to review these Online Terms as they will be updated from time to time.
Links to other third party websites or applications
- 2.1 An Online Site may contain links to other websites (including other social media websites) or applications which are owned or operated by third parties independent of us (“Third Party Sites”). We do not sponsor, endorse or approve of the operators of Third Party Sites, or material (including services, information, graphics, or data) which is located on such Third Party Sites (“Third Party Material”).
- 2.2 An Online Site may contain or link to information about special offers, deals or promotions by persons not related to us (“Third Party Offers”). We do not sponsor, endorse or approve of any Third Party Offers or Third Party Material associated with these offers.
- 2.3 Subject to any applicable law which cannot be excluded, we make no warranties or representations:
- 2.3.1 regarding the quality, accuracy, merchantability or fitness for purpose of Third Party Material, or products or services available through Third Party Sites; or
- 2.3.2 that Third Party Material does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any person.
- 2.4 We are not authorising the reproduction of Third Party Material by linking Site Content to Third Party Material.
- 2.5 When following a link on an Online Site, material at a Third Party Site may be displayed in your browser framed by Site Content. This material is also Third Party Material for the purpose of these Online Terms.
Main Site: product information and insurance purchase and renewal
- 3.1 Main Site content The Main Site contains both information of a general nature about us and our products and services, and also enables you to purchase and pay for some insurance products and services online.
3.2 Completing transactions on the Main Site
- 3.2.1 When entering into a transaction via the Main Site, whether it be the issuance of an insurance contract, or a transaction relating to any other product or service, the transaction will not be completed until an “Electronic Instruction” (being any electronic instruction, information, message, request or communication issued or transmitted to us via the Main Site) containing the acceptance from you of our offer, or the confirmation of payment from you, whichever is applicable, has been received and processed by us, and any specific steps or requirements as set out in this term 3, have been complied with.
- 3.2.2 You acknowledge that the transmission of your acceptance or the confirmation of any payment, made through an Electronic Instruction, may not be received by us in accordance with this term 3 for reasons beyond either parties’ reasonable control including, but not limited to, mechanical, software, computer, telecommunications, or electronic failure, or the omission or failure of third party service providers or systems.
- 3.2.3 You further acknowledge that, to the extent permitted by law, we are not liable to you in any way for any loss or damage at all and however caused, arising directly or indirectly in connection with the transmission of an Electronic Instruction through the Main Site, or any failure to receive an Electronic Instruction for whatever reason.
3.3 Purchasing insurance policies
3.3.1 Where the Main Site enables you to purchase insurance products or services online:
- (a) the parties may enter into an insurance policy using the Main Site by us making an express electronic offer via the Main Site and you electronically communicating your acceptance of that offer via the Main Site to us. An offer made by us in this way through the Main Site may be conditional upon the provision by you of certain information and will be made in our absolute discretion. We reserve the right not to make an electronic offer to you, including in circumstances where eligibility criteria have not been met;
- (b) we may act on and process all completed Electronic Instructions transmitted or issued through the Main Site without further consent from or reference to you; and
- (c) we may treat an Electronic Instruction as authentic and are under no obligation to investigate the authenticity or authority of persons issuing or transmitting such Electronic Instructions, or to verify the accuracy and completeness of such Electronic Instructions.
3.3.2 Creating a binding insurance contract with us via the Main Site is a two-step process:
- (a) the first step is to create a quote for the insurance product you are interested in and have selected. Upon completion by you of all required details, the Main Site will provide you with a quote, identified by a quote number; and
- (b) if you wish to purchase insurance in accordance with a quote provided to you by us via the Main Site, then, upon completion by you of all required details, step two enables you to accept that quote and create a binding insurance agreement with a corresponding policy number.
3.3.3 When entering into a contract via the Main Site in accordance with these Online Terms, you will be taken to have communicated your acceptance to an offer of insurance from us only when:
- (a) the Electronic Instruction containing the acceptance from you enters and is recorded in our main database or the relevant Suncorp Group database (both collectively referred to in term 3 as "Relevant Database");
- (b) a record is created and stored in the Relevant Database;
- (c) a policy number is generated by the Relevant Database; and
- (d) we receive all required details of a current and valid payment card (a card which you are authorised to use and which is of a card type accepted by us), and to which we are able to charge/debit the premium.
- 3.3.4 A binding insurance contract is conditional on us being able to successfully charge against your nominated payment card and us receiving payment of your applicable premium.
- 3.3.5 Where a transaction is entered into between us and you via the Main Site, a policy number will be issued. However, a binding insurance agreement is not conditional on the issuance or receipt by you of a policy number but is conditional upon us receiving your premium payment or your current and valid payment card details and a valid policy commencement date election. Therefore, the failure by you to receive a policy number does not invalidate or otherwise prejudice the existence of an insurance contract or transaction entered into using the Main Site.
- 3.3.6 We may or may not issue a paper confirmation of the insurance policy. The existence of a binding contract is not conditional on us issuing, or you receiving, a paper confirmation of the transaction.
- 3.3.7 You are responsible for ensuring that you receive a policy number and should contact us if one is not received.
- 3.3.8 For the avoidance of doubt, the terms and conditions in this term 3.3 only apply to certain applications for or purchases of insurance product conducted electronically by the Main Site and in circumstances where we make an express electronic offer to you. These terms do not apply where the purchase occurs by way of a written paper-based application or other non-electronic means.
- 3.3.1 Where the Main Site enables you to purchase insurance products or services online:
Main Site: payments All payments are to be made by permitted payment cards at the time of purchase in relation to the applicable policy or service. In the case of a payment card transaction, you must therefore provide to us details of your permitted current and valid payment card, including:
- (a) payment card type;
- (b) name on payment card;
- (c) payment card number;
- (d) card verification value (CVV); and
- (e) expiry date.
Valuation tools, calculators, games and other features
- 5.1 Our Online Sites may contain or make available various tools, calculation devices, software programs, games or other features which may assist you in calculating such things as the optimal insurance policy, premium or level of excess. Our Online Sites may also contain other useful information, such as information about the insurance industry.
- 5.2 Whilst we have undertaken reasonable steps to ensure that any such features or information as described in term 5.1 are accurate and free from defect, we do not warrant the accuracy, adequacy, correctness or completeness of these features, which are provided on an “as is” basis. The use by you of any of these features or any information provided is entirely at your own risk. The monetary figures used by these features in any calculations are estimates only and do not take account of your particular circumstances.
- Our standard terms and acceptance criteria apply All enquiries or applications for insurance (including variations of cover) or other products made via any of our Online Sites are subject to and must comply with our normal acceptance criteria and are governed by the normal terms and conditions applying to each product or service requested. The terms and conditions of the products which we issue or provide (as relevant) are contained here. Whenever you make an enquiry or application for one of our insurance products, you must answer any questions we ask honestly and completely. We reserve the right to reduce or deny any claim you make under our policy and/or cancel that policy, if the information you provide us is not honest and complete. If any of our products requires that you comply with a duty of disclosure, we will inform you of this in the application/sale transaction and this will be made clear in the relevant Product Disclosure Statement if applicable. We reserve the right to reduce or deny any claim you make under an applicable policy and/or cancel the applicable policy, if the duty of disclosure has not been complied with.
- Warranties Whilst reasonable steps have been undertaken to ensure that information is free from error, to the extent permitted by law, which law cannot be excluded, we do not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of Site Content. All information is subject to change without notice. We do not guarantee that any Online Site or any Third Party Site will be free from viruses, or that access to any Online Site or Third Party Site will function as intended or be uninterrupted. All terms implied by law, except those that cannot be lawfully excluded, are excluded.
- Limitation of liability Subject to any responsibilities implied by law and which cannot be excluded, we, and our directors, employees, agents, contractors and related bodies corporate, are not liable to you for any losses, damages, liabilities, claims and expenses (including but not limited to legal costs and defence or settlement costs) whatsoever, whether direct, indirect or consequential, arising out of or referable to any Site Content Third Party Material, third party services, or to access (or lack of access) to an Online Site (or website operated by any member of the Suncorp Group) by you, howsoever caused, whether in contract, tort including negligence, statute or otherwise.
- Indemnity You indemnify us (and any of our related bodies corporate) in respect of any liability incurred by us (or any of our related bodies corporate) for any loss, cost, damage or expense, howsoever caused, suffered by us (or any of our related bodies corporate) as a result of your breach of these Online Terms or your use of any of our Online Sites.
No advice / Risk Management Products
- 10.1 Unless specifically disclaimed, no Online Site purports to provide you with financial product or investment advice of any kind. The information available via an Online Site does not take account of your particular financial or insurance position or requirements. We suggest that you seek independent advice before acting upon any Site Content or any information found on a Third Party Site. Depending on your circumstances, you should also consider whether other types of advice may be relevant to your situation, including but not limited to independent legal, accounting or financial planning advice.
- 10.2 Any risk management products featured on our Online Sites involve risks when using such products. You should seek expert advice before using such products so you are fully informed of the risks involved.
Availability of an Online Site
- 11.1 Since electronic services are subject to interruption or breakdown, access to an Online Site is offered on an “as is” and “as available” basis only.
- 11.2 We may impose limits or restrictions on the use you may make of an Online Site. Further, for security, technical, maintenance, legal or regulatory reasons, or due to any breach of these Online Terms, we may withdraw an Online Site (of part thereof) at any time and without notice to you.
- 11.3 Any cost associated with accessing an Online Site is the user’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet or telecommunications service provider used.
Restrictions on use of an Online Site The Site Content contained on any Online Site is provided solely for bona fide personal or commercial customers only. By accessing, viewing or otherwise using any of our Online Sites, you agree to abide by the terms and conditions of use contained in this term and term 13. You agree that you will not, (either yourself or through any third party):
- (a) use any robot, spider, screen scraper, data aggregation tool or other automatic device or process ("Automated Process") to process, monitor, copy or extract any web pages on any of our Online Sites, or any of the information, content or data contained within or accessible through any of our Online Sites, without our prior written permission;
- (b) use any Automated Process to aggregate or combine information, content or data contained within or accessible through any of our Online Sites with information, content or data accessible via or sourced from any third party;
- (c) use any information on or accessed through any of our Online Sites for any commercial purpose (including but not limited to market research, the provision of pricing estimates or 'shadow shopping') or otherwise (either directly or indirectly) for profit or gain;
- (d) use any device, software, process or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of any of our Online Sites or any transaction or process being conducted on or through it;
- (e) take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of or bandwidth connecting to any of our Online Sites;
- (f) reverse engineer, reverse assemble, decompile or otherwise attempt to discover source code or other arithmetical formula or processes in respect of the software underlying the infrastructure and processes associated with any of our Online Sites; or
- (g) copy, reproduce, alter, modify, create derivative works, or publicly display, any part of any content from any of our Online Sites without our prior written permission.
No use of any Online Site for unrelated persons You must only use our Online Sites (as permitted by their design) to:
- (a) obtain insurance quotes;
- (b) obtain other information relating to the price of insurance cover from us;
- (c) conduct insurance related transactions or queries;
- in respect of insurance cover for you or a member of your immediate family (with their prior consent) or for a commercial enterprise for which you seek bona fide insurance cover. You agree not to otherwise use any of our Online Sites to obtain insurance quotes, or to obtain other information relating to the price of insurance cover from us or conduct insurance-related transactions or queries. You also agree to indemnify us in respect of any liability incurred by us for any loss, cost, damage or expense, howsoever caused, suffered by us as a result of your breach of this term 16.
Copyright and trademarks
- 15.1 Copyright in the Material on an Online Site is owned or licensed by us.
- 15.2 Except where necessary for and incidental to viewing or using the Site Content on an Online Site via your web-enabled browser (whether on a personal computer or on a portable electronic device), or as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 or other applicable laws, no Site Content on an Online Site may be reproduced, stored (for any period of time) in an electronic or other retrieval system, adapted, uploaded to a third party location, framed, performed in public or transmitted in any form by any process whatsoever without the specific written consent of us.
- 15.3 We and each of our related bodies corporate separately reserve their copyright and all other legal rights with respect to their trademarks, whether registered or otherwise. “Terri Scheer”, “TS Terri Scheer”, and “Vero” are each registered trademarks. 15.4 Third party trademarks are trademarks of the respective third parties.
- 16.1 Termination of these Online Terms Unless otherwise stated in this term 16, these Online Terms and/or your access to our Online Site(s) may be terminated at any time by us. You may terminate your use of our Online Sites at anytime. However, all restrictions, licences granted by you, and all disclaimers and exclusions of and limitations on our liability, will survive any termination. Upon termination you must not directly or indirectly access or use the relevant Online Site(s) or any Site Content on the relevant Online Site(s).
- 16.2 Prohibition on access post termination Upon termination of these Online Terms and your right to access to our Online Site(s), you must not directly or indirectly access or use any part of our Online Site(s) or any Site Content.
Acceptance of and changes to these Online Terms
- 17.1 You acknowledge and accept that your use of an Online Site indicates your acceptance of these Online Terms.
Our complaints resolution process
- 18.1 If you are dissatisfied with your dealings with us in relation to your use of an Online Site please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com
- 18.2 We will review your email and contact you with a reply or to ask you for further information, if it’s required. If you make a complaint and it is about a Terri Scheer insurance policy or insurance claim, you may have additional rights of appeal, such as under Terri Scheer's formal dispute resolution process. We will tell you if that is the case. See the “FAQs” section on our Main Site for more information about how we resolve complaints.
- 19.1 An Online Site may be viewed and interacted with by anyone in the world, however age limits may apply to certain Site Content (including the sale or issue of any insurance product), promotions or offers.
- 19.2 We only offer our insurance products for sale within Australia. The information, products and services provided on our Online Sites may be limited to residents of certain States and Territories of Australia only. The information provided on our Online Sites may not satisfy the law of other countries. Overseas residents may contact the Suncorp Group by email for assistance regarding the availability of products and services described on our Online Sites.
- 19.3 The law applicable to an Online Site and to any complaints arising from an Online Site is the law of the State of Queensland, Australia. By using any of our Online Sites you irrevocably submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Queensland, Australia, unless the complaint relates to an insurance contract in which case relevant state or federal law will apply.
- 19.4 Should any term or part of these Online Terms be found to be void, unenforceable or invalid, then it is severed from this agreement, leaving the remainder in full force and effect, provided that the severance has not altered the basic nature of this agreement.
- 19.5 You may not rely on our words or conduct as a waiver of any right unless the waiver is in writing. In this term “conduct” includes delay in the exercise of any right. “Right” means any of our rights which arises under or in connection with these Online Terms or otherwise, and includes the right to rely on this term. “Waiver” includes an election between rights and remedies, and conduct which might otherwise give rise to an estoppel.
- 19.6 The products, services and promotions featured on our Online Sites may be withdrawn or varied at any time, without notice, within the limits of Australian law.
- Linking to any of our Online Sites Unauthorised linking to any part of an Online Site (including any website operated by a related body corporate that is part of the Suncorp Group) is expressly prohibited. Please contact us if you would like to link to any part of our Online Site(s). Only written permission from us will constitute authorisation of a link.
Our Online Privacy Statement starts here
21.1 By using an Online Site you accept that any personal information we collect about you will be handled according to terms 21 to 27 of these Online Terms as well as:
- 21.2 In addition to these Online Terms there may also be additional privacy provisions that apply to your use of an Online Site or as a result of your membership (or your application for membership) of a third party social media website. Should you decide to register for or participate in a promotion or other activity, or purchase a product or service from us, you will be bound by the relevant terms of that promotion, activity, product or service.
- 21.1 By using an Online Site you accept that any personal information we collect about you will be handled according to terms 21 to 27 of these Online Terms as well as:
Your online privacy
- 22.1 Notwithstanding any other term in these Online Terms, you agree and freely acknowledge that when you submit comments, recordings, images or other personal content, for public display on an Online Site, that content may be available for anyone in the world to read and/or view and/or comment on and potentially download. See term 24 for further information about the public display of your content.
- 22.2 Our Main Site and Mobile Site use the services of the firm Adobe to monitor website use. The Adobe tool does not collect any personal information while you use our site(s) and the reports it provides to us are of aggregated information only. These reports help us to maintain, administer and improve these sites.
- Posting public content Unless otherwise stated, when you post a public comment or upload other public data to an Online Site, that information may be displayed by us publicly in accordance with terms 22 and 24. Your information may also be retained by us where there is a legal reason to retain it for a longer period.
Information collected and how we use it
24.1 General Information
- 24.1.1 The information we will collect about you will depend on how you use an Online Site.
- 24.1.2 If you use an Online Site to read, browse or download information, our computer system may record information such as the date and time of your visit, the pages accessed and any information downloaded. This information may be used for statistical, reporting, site/application administration and maintenance purposes.
- 24.1.3 An Online Site may offer interactive facilities including tools, games and other online features. If you use any interactive facilities, we may, but generally do not, capture any personal information which you may enter when using these tools.
24.2 Personal information submitted to an Online Site
- 24.2.1 When you as a user of an Online Site (“Online Site User”), submit any personal information via an Online Site, whether in the form of text, comments, recordings, images or otherwise (“Online Site User Content”) (for the avoidance of doubt, Online Site User Content includes Social Media Site User Content, as far as is relevant in the circumstances), you consent to that personal information being collected by us and used and disclosed for any purpose permitted by these Online Terms, and otherwise as permitted by relevant privacy laws in Australia.
- 24.2.2 You agree to obtain the prior consent of any other person whose personal information (whether in the form of words, images, recordings or otherwise) you submit to us via an Online Site, including any Social Media Site. We will collect this information from you in good faith and take reasonable precautions to ensure it is handled in accordance with relevant Australian privacy laws. If you are not sure whether the other person would agree with you providing their personal information to us, please exercise caution and DO NOT provide it to us.
- 24.2.5 We may collect personal information belonging to an Online Site User, such as their name, email address or social media site alias, in order to provide them with the interaction or outcome they have requested. This may require us to disclose an Online Site User’s personal information to one or more third parties, including but not limited to agents or external service providers.
- 24.2.7 If you decide to enter a promotion that is made available or otherwise advertised on an Online Site you will need to agree to that promotion's separate terms and conditions, which will be drawn to your attention as part of the entry process.
- 24.2.8 Where practical we will collect your personal information directly from you. Generally, we may collect personal information about you when you deal with us by email, letter, phone, in person or at other locations.
24.3 Security of personal information submitted to our Main Site
- 24.3.1 All personal information you provide to our Main Site over the internet while inquiring about or obtaining an insurance quotation, or entering a promotion (as relevant) is passed through a secure, encrypted connection. The secure connection is over a protocol called secure sockets layer (SSL). We use a minimum 128 bit encryption (128-bit), which provides a very high level of protection against unauthorised access in order to prevent unauthorised persons from reading the information you send to us while it is in transit over the internet. Once your personal information has been received at our Main Site, we take all reasonable precautions to securely pass that information to our mainframe computer or to another member of the Suncorp Group on our behalf, or in the case of a promotion, to our secure promotion database. These mainframe computers are not directly accessible through the internet, nor is our promotion database. No details you provide to us are stored on a web server.
- 24.3.2 When you make an online payment on one of our Online Sites your payment card number will be passed in a secure manner between our Online Site and one or more third party providers, such as the issuer of your payment card. Your payment card number will be recorded in a mainframe computer operated by us or by another member of the Suncorp Group on our behalf, and will not be transmitted over the internet to payment card providers or payment providers. Neither we nor any payment provider we allow will store your payment card details on any web server. If your payment card number is stored it will only be for us or our financial institution’s record keeping purposes (or otherwise as required by law), and then it will be stored with an even higher level of encryption.
- 24.3.3 If you are not comfortable with sending any information over the internet, please contact us to discuss alternative methods.
- 24.1 General Information
- Third Party Sites (including third party social media sites) Our Online Sites may contain links to Third Party Sites (see term 2.1). Third Party Sites should contain their own privacy statements and those third parties are responsible for informing you about their security and privacy practices.
Your privacy rights and complaint resolution
- 26.1 If we have collected your personal information through your use of an Online Site, then you have a right to access, update or correct that personal information. You also have the right to make a complaint about your privacy. Click here to find out the contact points should you have an information access or correction request or privacy concern relating to your use of an Online Site.
- 26.2 We will review your correspondence or request and contact you with a reply or to ask you for further information, if required. We respect your legal right to access and correct your personal information and will respond to your request within a reasonable time. We will ordinarily not charge you a fee to access your personal information, however in some circumstances we may elect to charge you a reasonable fee for access, as permitted by law.
- 26.3 If you make a complaint about your privacy you may have additional rights of appeal, such as under our formal dispute resolution process. We will tell you if that is the case. See the “Making a Privacy Complaint” part of our main website for more information about how we resolve privacy complaints.
- 27.1 Our Online Sites use “cookies” as a fundamental part of their interaction with your internet browser. Cookies enable us to provide you with a superior, customer-oriented service. A "cookie" is a small text file placed on your computer by our web server. A cookie can later be retrieved by our website servers. Cookies are frequently used on websites and you can choose if and how a cookie will be accepted by configuring your preferences and options in your browser. Cookies do not alter the operation of your computer or mobile device in any way.
These online terms are dated 14 April 2014